10.5.11

Observations from the Other Side

I have chosen this blog name for the obvious reason that I am far and away older than most of my classmates. While they may have found today's lecture a bit dull(as noted by the prof...), I was riveted by it, having grown up in the midst of the cultural changes of the sixties. It is so interesting to learn how universities changed in their views toward anyone who was not a white male and how the academic curricula reflected those changes.
I am so grateful to be going to university now, when I can benefit from the work of theorists like Hall and Thompson. I can only imagine what it must have been like for women of my mother's generation to try to learn in the face of sexism and intolerance.
Thus ends my introductory post. Further posts will, of course, reference popular culture and scholarly writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment